You play as either a Tower or Runner. Towers need to defend their Light (Spawn). Runners need to run into the Light to take a Life from the Towers. Towers get 30 seconds at the beginning of each wave to find a good defensive position before being locked in place (movement abilities still work). Runners are unable to move or use abilities during this time. When the setup phase ends, Runners are freed and must try and navigate the Towers' defenses to reach the Towers' spawn. Runners can only die or take lives from the Towers 10 times before the wave is over. The amount remaining Runners can be seen in the top middle of the screen.
Towers gain 5 points for each elimination and gain points equal to five times their remaining lives at the end of the wave. Every 100 points unlocks a new Tower and every 500 points unlocks new abilities for existing Towers. New Tower unlocks are shown on the right side of the screen and Ability unlocks for the Tower you are on can be seen on the right. The Ability unlocks UI also lists any custom abilities a Tower may have and what they do.
Towers win if they can survive all 32 Waves. Runners win if they can take all 50 of the Towers' Lives.
Tips for Towers
- To change Tower, hold the interact key (F by default) during the Setup phase. This will kill you allowing a new Tower selection.
- As a Tower, you do considerable damage to Runners and have infinite ammo.
- Don't try to setup too close to either spawn. The game will simply teleport you to the center if you do.
- You can use the above tip along with a movement ability to quickly traverse the map.
- Always check the top left of your screen to see which Wave is coming. It may be wise to change Tower to counter the Runners.
- Make sure to spread out! Nothing is worse than not being able to hit a certain area of the map.
Tips for Runners
- You are invulnerable within the marked area of your spawn and up to a second after leaving it.
- Take inventory of your abilities when the round starts and try to be creative with them. For example: Torb's turret can point out Towers around corners.
- All Runners can make it to the Towers' spawn twice. Some just have to be moving the whole time.
- If each Runner on a team of six can take one life per Wave, you will win before Wave 9. Slow and steady may literally win the race.
- Remember: If a Tower gets too close to either your or their spawn, they will be sent to the middle.
- Towers deal crazy damage. It is best to not get hit.
Tips for Hosts
- The ideal lobby is a full one, but if you can't get that it is usually better to have more Towers than Runners. I find 3v2 is a good starting point.
- Due to a problem in the code (listed below), switching someone to the opposite team during the game will leave certain HUD elements on their screen.
- This game is long not unlike Tower Defenses of old. One game take at most 65 minutes to complete. There are few loops so hopefully it won't shut down.
- If you want to change the waveLength, towerLives, unlockInterval (for new Towers), or extraRunners (modifies runnerLives) these variable are declared in the 'Mode Variables and More (G)' action near the top.
- This version only has Ilios Ruins enabled, but Ilios Well, Lijiang Gardens (both variants), and Lijiang Night Market (both variants) are all coded and ready to use. Simply enabled them in the Maps section of the custom games settings screen.
- More maps: All Nepal maps and All Oasis Maps are next.
- Proper documentation of all Custom Abilities, Tower List, Wave List, and all Hero changes.
- Trivia - All waves and towers have unique names. These will be in the documentation when I get to it.
- Swapping Teams during a game causes HUD problems. Attempts to fix this have been met with an uncooperative Workshop.
- Balance may be wonky as I haven't had a proper lobby to do tests in.
- Impatience is the bane of this mode.
- I'm sure there is more that needs to go here.
Created by Zhayde#1970