Overwatch 2 Reworked: 2.0
- Defense Matrix max duration increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds
- Defense Matrix recharge rate decreased by 10%
- Fusion Cannons movement penalty reduced from -40% to -25%
- Boosters cooldown reduced from 4 seconds to 3 seconds
- Boosters knockback increased by 20%
- Seismic Slam now slows enemies by 15% for 3 seconds.
- Taking damage while using Power Block now generates overhealth equal to 30% of the damage dealt.
- Meteor Strike now knocks enemies down for 1.25 seconds
Doomfist hasn't been particularly strong since his defensive prowess got nerfed. These changes should help him survive a little longer, as well as be more disruptive.
- Healing received from wounds increased from 1.25x to 1.5x, excluding Rampage.
I've always thought Junker Queen's wounds felt more like an afterthought than an integral part of her character, since their healing is so pathetic. This change should help Junker Queen be more sturdy and independent.
Moved to the Tank role.
Base health increased from 250 to 500
Model size increased by 15%
Secondary fire removed.
New ability: Avalanche. Mei drops a large block of ice in front of her, damaging and knocking enemies down. 6 second cooldown.
Cryo-Freeze healing increased from 200 to 350
Cryo-Freeze ice block size increased by 100%
Touching Mei's ice block will slow enemies down, damage them for 20 DPS and freeze them eventually.
Ice Wall cooldown increased from 12 seconds to 13 seconds.
Ice Wall HP increased by 50%
Mei's basically half a Tank already. I figured it was time to bring her in all the way. I wanted to reduce her long-range effectiveness to keep her in line with the more close-range Tanks we see today, like Reinhardt or Zarya. Now, she's a very disruptive front-line tank with a threatening amount of damage from her primary fire, an intimidating stun and considerable defensive prowess. While her primary fire freezing was an option, I actually like her non-freezing variant on a Tank better, since she has several other ways to trap and stun her enemies already. Its slow combined with her stronger Ice Wall should be plenty to trap opponents.
- Javelin Spin cooldown increased from 7 seconds to 8 seconds
- Fortify now grants Orisa a 30% speed increase
- Block movement speed reduction reduced from 50% to 30%
- Block damage reduction reduced from 75% to 60%
I think Ramattra is a well-designed tank, but his ultimate can be a bit ridiculous. These changes should allow him to get focused down in Annihilation a bit easier, but also make him more flexible.
- Rocket Hammer knockback increased by 20%
- Barrier Field movement penalty reduced from -30% to -15%
Reinhardt is struggling in 5v5 due to the brawly playstyle he epitomizes being so weak. In order to make him a bit stronger, he moves a bit faster while defending himself, and is more disruptive once in the middle of the enemy team.
- Take a Breather healing reduced from 350 to 250
- Take a Breather now grants all allies in a 10 metre radius 100 healing over 2 seconds, with an extra 100 for Roadhog. Will not activate unless Roadhog is within 15 metres of an ally. Stacks with Take a Breather.
- Take a Breather now grants Roadhog a 50% speed increase
- Take a Breather cooldown increased from 6 seconds to 7 seconds
- Chain Hook cooldown increased from 8 to 9 seconds
In an effort to make Roadhog more of a team player, he can now provide his allies a bit of sustain when he uses Take a Breather. Now that his one-shot is gone, he will need to co-operate with his team to get a kill with Chain Hook, and the changes to his self-sustain should encourage this playstyle.
- Hyperspheres damage increased from 55 to 65
- Experimental Barrier can now only be active for 3 seconds. Maximum travel distance now 4.125 metres.
- Experimental Barrier redeploy cooldown increased from 2 seconds to 6 seconds
- Kinetic Grasp cooldown decreased from 12 seconds to 9 seconds
- Kinetic Grasp now grants Sigma a 75% speed increase
- Accretion cooldown decreased from 10 to 8 seconds
These changes should encourage a brawlier Sigma, one who can actually be played on more maps than just Circuit Royale. Reducing the uptime of his barrier but increasing the speed of the cycle of his cooldowns will make his gameplay faster, but just as methodical.
- Jump Pack knockback increased by 25%
I think of Winston as a sort of barometer for the state of Overwatch. If he's strong as is, then game balance is in a good spot.
- While using Adaptive Shields, Wrecking Ball takes 50% less knockback.
- All allies in a 15 metre radius will receive 50 overhealth when Wrecking Ball uses Adaptive Shields
While I think the changes made to Wrecking Ball will help him some, the resurgence of Brigitte and my addition of Symmetra to the Support role will likely expose his flaws a bit. These changes both allow Wrecking Ball to not get bullied by Brigitte and Lucio so much, and allow him to help his team.
- Max ammo increased from 100 to 150
- Secondary fire knockback increased by 50%
- Coach Gun no longer knocks enemies back
- Coach Gun damage increased by 125%
Ashe's ability to easily displace enemy flankers is part of what makes her so durable compared to other snipers, like Ana or Widowmaker. Now, she can just obliterate them point-blank instead.
- New ability: Shrapnel Missile. Bastion unleashes a missile made of shrapnel that deals AoE damage in a wide radius. 9 second cooldown. Activate with Ability 2.
- Combat Roll cooldown decreased to 5 seconds
- Magnetic Grenade removed
- New ability: Flash Grenade. Cassidy throws a grenade that explodes upon contact with an enemy. It will knock back and set enemies on fire. Can stick to walls, ceilings or floors. 2 meter radius. 9 second cooldown, starts upon activation.
His new ability is kind of like his Magnetic Grenade, but a bit less frustrating to get hit by. It's kind of like a stronger Venom Mine.
- Primary fire damage increased from 27 to 28
- Max ammo increased from 24 to 27
- Projectile speed increased by 25%
- Swift Strike cooldown halved in Dragonblade
These buffs aim to walk back some of the harsh nerfs Genji received in Season 1, while keeping him in check.
- Storm Arrow removed
- New ability: Dragon's Fury. Hanzo channels the spirit of the dragons, firing a concentrated hitscan beam of light at his enemies. Deals 160 damage and knocks back enemies. Cannot headshot. 8 second cooldown.
- Lunge cooldown increased from 5 seconds to 6
- Projectile speed increased from 110 to 125 metres per second
Hanzo's role as a tank shredder was problematic, to say the least. Now, he's more of a sniper again, while still retaining some of his tankbusting power.
- If Junkrat gets a final blow with Total Mayhem, he gets +30% ultimate charge, and taunts the enemy from the grave.
- Steel Trap removed.
- New ability: Tripwire. Junkrat places a tripwire that will damage enemies over time, while also revealing their location to Junkrat's team.
Steel Trap is an annoying form of crowd control, but the way the Overwatch devs elected to get rid of its rooting effect was so useless. Now, the trap's sacrificing its crowd control for wallhacks! Also, getting killed by Junkrat's passive isn't sufficiently humiliating. Now, you're forced to take a massive L.
- If the crouch button is held in mid-air, Pharah will accelerate toward the ground.
- Rocket Jets fuel recharge rate increased by 25%
- Base health reduced from 200 to 150
- Base armor increased from 0 to 75
- Primary fire damage decreased from 120 to 105
- Primary fire projectile speed increased by 71%
Now, Pharah can be more unpredictable in the air, throwing off enemy hitscan's aim. In trying make Pharah stronger on her own without making Pharmercy overpowered, I settled on a more precise version of Pharah. Now, she can more accurately predict enemy movement and she can take a few more hits, but at the cost of slightly lower damage.
- Now gains a 50% speed boost for 1.5 seconds after exiting Shadow Step
- New ability: Reaper's Bite. Secondary Fire. Reaper fires a piercing tendril of smoke at an enemy that deals damage to all it hits, sets them on fire and drains their HP. 5 second cooldown.
- The Reaping self-healing reduced from 35% to 25%
- Base health reduced from 250 to 225
This change should help Reaper close the distance between him and his enemies a little faster. His new ability enables him to deal more damage and be more tactical. His base HP is lowered to compensate for his much higher potential self-healing.
- Secondary fire now has a 6 second cooldown, except while using Overclock.
While there aren't many changes to Sojourn, limiting her to only one railgun shot every six seconds dramatically slows her down and puts a hard limit on her burst potential, which is probably the most effective nerf the Overwatch devs refuse to do.
- Helix Rocket cooldown increased from 6 seconds to 7 seconds
- Helix Rocket projectile speed decreased by 20%
Now that Soldier: 76 is strong, his burst potential should be toned down.
- Base health reduced from 200 to 100
- Base shields increased from 0 to 100
- Stealth now has a maximum duration of 12 seconds
- Stealth speed boost increased from +60% to +75%
- Sombra now gains 50% ultimate charge from hacked health packs.
- Enemies hit by EMP take 40% more damage from Sombra, instead of 25%.
- New Passive: Kinetic Shock. Dealing damage to enemies will charge Sombra's Quick Melee to deal more damage and knockback, and have a much larger range. This effect can only trigger every three seconds.
Borrowing from the dev's philosophy when changing Wrecking Ball, Sombra can now passively regenerate some of her HP while out of the fight. Sombra has been a point of contention within the Overwatch community for a long time. I figured that putting a time limit on Sombra's Stealth and increasing her damage in her ultimate would be a way of slightly homogenizing her, so that she isn't quite so slippery, yet more deadly. Her new Kinetic Shock passive also rewards her for utilizing her Hack's damage boost by granting her a burst of damage and knockback.
- Deploy Turret cooldown increased from 10 seconds to 12; 6 seconds to 5 if destroyed manually
Now, destroying Torbjörns turret should feel more impactful, since he can't redeploy it so soon.
- If Tracer takes any damage, Blink will be disabled for 1 second until she stops taking damage. Using Recall will cleanse this debuff.
- Recall cooldown decreased from 12 seconds to 10 seconds
- Base health increased from 150 to 175
Tracer has consistently been one of the strongest damage dealers, mostly due to her extreme mobility allowing her to have an advantage in a duel against almost every other hero, including tanks. Now, if she takes any damage on her dives, she must be prepared to kill her target where she stands, or face elimination. Things like a stray Ana shot or a Zenyatta connecting an orb with her face are even more threatening now, not to mention the aim lenient kits of the Tanks. She will often find herself stuck if used the way she is now. With her blinks toned down, she'll have a harder time dodging crowd control now.
- Venom Mine removed
- New ability: Widow's Elixir. Widowmaker drinks a solution that heals her for 100 HP over 4 seconds, and makes her 50% faster for four seconds, and bounces her forward in the direction she's facing. 15 second cooldown, starts upon activation.
I thought this ability sounded cool. It also allows her enemy to get the drop on her easier, but allows her to do a little more about it. You have to kill her pretty fast now, otherwise she's just gone.
- Sleep Dart maximun stun duration decreased from 5 seconds to 1.5 seconds
- Sleep Dart now applies a small damage over time and a burning effect when hit, and slows the victim down by 25% for five seconds
- Sleep Dart cooldown decreased from 14 seconds to 11 seconds
- Biotic Grenade now applies a small heal over time to Ana.
Ana's Sleep Dart is an incredibly frustrating ability to get hit by. To make this even worse, Ana can now dance around you gleefully while you die to her damage over time while you're anti-naded. These changes make Sleep Dart more punishing in a duel, yet a weaker escape tool and weaker against tanks.
- Immortality Field is now a single-target, targeted ability. Now only cancelled by Baptiste's death, or a Hack. 23 second cooldown.
Baptiste's Immortality Field being able to save an entire group of people from death within a radius... What does that remind me of? Oh, right. Mercy's first ultimate. Now, it's a single-target ability that applies an immortality buff to a teammate, rather than all teammates within a radius. It's probably more useful than Baptiste's static Immortality Field in Overwatch 2's chaotic environment. Imagine an immortal Tracer running at you, who only dies if Baptiste gets killed or hacked, or once the ability expires.
- Base health increased from 150 to 175
- Brigitte now heals herself for a small amount of HP every time she hits an opponent.
- Repair Pack healing decreased from 50 per second to 40 per second
- Repair Pack burst healing reduced from 25 to 20
- Inspire healing decreased from 15 per second to 12 per second
- Whip Shot knockback increased by 20%
- Whip Shot damage increased from 70 to 80
- Whip Shot now briefly stuns enemies.
- Barrier Shield size increased by 15%
- Rally radius increased by 35%
- Rally now grants all allies in Rally's radius 50 overhealth immediately upon activation.
- Max Rally overhealth increased from 100 to 125
- Ultimate cost reduced by 10%
Brigitte's low range and mobility and kinda eh survivability won't work in a world where she's expected to deal a bunch of damage in Overwatch 2's spread out and damage focused environment. Now, she can brawl with the best of them, though she sacrifices a lot of her healing for her new tankiness and damage. Her max single target HPS is down almost 20%. Rally with purely overhealth feels kind of weak, so I made it start with a bang and give 25 more max HP.
- Moved to the Support role.
- Primary fire projectile damage decreased from 17 to 13
- Max ammo increased from 12 to 20
- Flight now grants Echo 50 burst healing upon activation and a 20% speed boost
- Focusing Beam removed
- New ability: Healing Aura. Echo places a healing aura that heals all allies within a 14 metre radius for 25 HP per second. 1.5 second cooldown to redeploy, cooldown starts on retraction. Does not heal while being placed. Can place anywhere, is blocked by line of sight. Aim with Ability 2 (E for PC players), and place with Interact.
- Sticky Bombs removed
- New ability: Snakeskin Cleanse. Echo cleanses a single ally of all damage over time and negative status effects, and gives them 50 temporary shields that disappear in 3 seconds. 8 second cooldown. Aim at an ally and press secondary fire.
- New ability: Weak Point. Echo exposes an enemy's weak point, causing them to take 25% more damage for 3 seconds. 8 second cooldown. Aim at an enemy and press secondary fire.
- New Ultimate: Prismatic Duplication. Echo targets an ally, providing them with a miniature Prisma Clone, which will deal damage to an enemy within a 15-metre-radius, prioritizing weakened targets. This Prisma Clone also provides overhealth at a certain interval. This Prisma Clone has 250 HP, is 25% smaller than Echo, can be interacted with by other allies and is subject to the Support Passive. This Prisma Clone will last 8 seconds, or until destroyed.
- Ultimate cost increased by 30%
I heard that Echo was supposed to be a support originally, and it got me thinking. Echo is now a Support that heavily encourages grouping up, while also being quite lethal. She doesn't deal nearly as much damage without two of her damaging abilities, but her healing is quite crazy, if not especially bursty. Her ultimate is kind of like a portable and supportive B.O.B., but is hopefully easier to kill.
- Healing Ofuda healing reduced from 13 per ofuda to 12
- If Kiriko hits a headshot, she will heal herself for 25 healing per second for 3.5 seconds
- Swift Step cooldown decreased from 7 seconds to 6
- Kiriko now has the option to choose between Protective Suzu and Debilitating Magatama. These abilities share a cooldown.
- Protective Suzu cooldown increased from 14 seconds to 16 seconds
- New Ability: Debilitating Magatama. Kiriko throws an enchanted magatama at her enemies, causing them to take 30% more damage, move 30% slower and have their position marked through walls for 4 seconds. 13 second cooldown.
These changes, combined with the recent nerfs to Kiriko's Healing Ofuda should make her more of a utility support. Her Debilitating Magatama is a powerful debuff that allows her allies to dive on the enemy backline with far more lethality.
- Soundwave now knocks Lúcio back as well
- Crossfade self-healing penalty reduced from -70% to -50%
- Sound Barrier now deals damage and knocks enemies back, scaling non-linearly based on distance
- Sound Barrier now pops Lucio up in the air upon activation, increasing its cast time
Now, Lucio can even boop himself off the map! He also could use a little help in terms of ultimate charge since it's getting outpaced and outsustained by Transcendence... And now, Reddit Lucio's even stronger! Lucio probably doesn't need much help in Overwatch 2, so I didn't change him much.
- Secondary fire damage boost reduced from 30% to 25%
- Mercy now applies a small heal over time to her target after switching off healing, like Moira's Biotic Grasp.
- Resurrect cast time increased from 1.75 seconds to 4.5 seconds
- Mercy is now fully active in Resurrect's cast time
- Resurrect cancel range increased from 7 metres to 20 metres
- Resurrected teammates now have +50% movement speed during the invincibility frames.
- Removed Valkyrie
- New Ultimate: Angelic Blessing. Mercy grants all teammates within a 20 metre radius a 40% damage resistance, a small heal over time and a big burst of healing upon activation. Mercy also bounces up in the air, moves faster and has lowered gravity during its duration. 8 second duration.
- Caduceus Blaster damage increased from 20 to 25 (30 during Resurrect)
These changes allow Mercy more control over her own actions during Resurrect, as well as allowing Mercy's enemies more time to counter her. Allowing both sides counterplay to Mercy's Resurrect should drive Mercy's skill ceiling up, and allow Mercy to Resurrect safely while playing against the increased amount of flankers in Overwatch 2. She also deals more damage, which is probably needed in Overwatch 2's more hostile environment. Mercy's new ultimate provides another defensive ultimate, and an impactful one at that. A teamwide Fortify allows Mercy to toughen up her allies, and fly above the battlefield with grace.
- Biotic Grasp healing increased from 70 to 80 per second
- Biotic Grasp damage increased from 50 to 70 per second
- Biotic Grasp self-healing increased from 24 to 30 per second
- Resource consumption rate decreased by 50%
- Resource recharge rate increased by 1.167x
Biotic Orb- Removed.
Biotic Enhancement- New ability.
- Moira grants a single ally a powerful buff to their abilities, increasing their speed by 30%, damage by 25% and healing received by 50%, while also granting a small heal over time. (30 HP/second for 5.5 seconds) She also grants herself a heal over time. (17.5 HP/second for 5.5 seconds.) 15 second cooldown.
Biotic Degradation- New ability.
- Alternatively, Moira can apply a harsh debuff to a single enemy, decreasing their speed by 25% and damage dealt by 25%, and forcing them down to the ground. Moira deals 25% more damage to the enemy marked with Biotic Degradation. She also grants herself a heal over time. (17.5 HP/second for 4 seconds.) 12 second cooldown.
- If Moira jumps during the ability, she gains a large vertical boost, allowing her to reach high ground.
- Cooldown increased from 6 seconds to 8 seconds
- Ultimate cost reduced by 12%
- Damage increased from 70 per second to 75
- Jump height increased, gravity decreased (can now jump high in the air)
- Now phases out all allies in a 20 metre radius for 1 second when activated
- Deals 50 damage to all enemies in a 10 metre radius when activated
Moira isn't an interesting hero for a lot of the community. I don't believe her mechanical ease is the cause, since Mercy is a very popular hero; rather, I believe her problem is her uninteresting gameplan and lack of utility. Utility is what adds uniqueness to a hero's kit, yet current day Moira has none. Sure, she functions perfectly fine in Overwatch 2 thanks to her survivability being more valuable, but her gameplay feels like a simple flowchart. So, I've opted to rework her Biotic Orbs into something new.
These new abilities should retool Moira into a powerful, insidious influence in the battlefield, while retaining her healing and hurting motif. She's more capable of diving enemies, and has more long-range sustain than before as well, but she also is encouraged to play alongside her team for maximum value and self-sustain.
Moved to the Support role.
Base shields reduced from 125 to 100
New Passive: Technical Aura. Symmetra has a 14 metre wide aura that either heals all allies for 15 HPS, or grants 25 additional recoverable shields. Symmetra only receives 10 HPS from this field. Swap between auras with Interact.
Beam damage reduced from 60/120/180 to 40/80/120
Secondary fire max damage reduced from 90 to 75
Ammo is now infinite.
Sentry Turrets cooldown decreased from 10 seconds to 9 seconds.
Sentry Turret DPS reduced from 40 to 30
New ability: Teleport. Symmetra warps to a location 17.5 metres away in the direction she's facing. 7 second cooldown.
New ability: Photon Shields. Symmetra gives an ally some technical aid, healing them for 160 healing over 4 seconds and 25 temporary health that disappears after 4 seconds, and providing a 25% speed boost. 7 second cooldown. Press Reload while aiming at an ally.
New Ultimate: Photon Screen. Symmetra deploys a portable filter made of hard light that halves incoming damage, grants all allies within its radius 50 shields. Symmetra also gains a 20% speed boost and a 25% damage boost for the ultimate's duration. This filter is a 10-metre sphere around Symmetra. 10 second duration.
Ultimate cost increased by 67%
Symmetra started her life as a Support. It's time to bring her home! Now, she's a utility support, with great personal mobility and overhealth utility, while also retaining her turrets. Her ultimate is an incredible tool for her team's survivability, and it even allows Symmetra to be more threatening than ever. Ironically, even though she has a very negative relationship with Lucio, she ended up playing a lot like him.
P.S. I had a lot of trouble making Symmetra's kit not overload the servers, so she might occasionally crash your game. She hasn't crashed mine since I adjusted Technical Aura to give out one big health pool of recoverable shields rather than gradually stacking little temporary health pools, so I think she's okay. Just be warned, it may not have happened to me yet, but it may happen to you.
Primary fire damage increased from 48 to 49
Orb of Discord damage amplification reduced from 25% to 20%
Orb of Harmony healing increased from 30 HPS to 35 HPS
Expulsion - New ability.
Zenyatta's orbs knock enemies back for 4 seconds.
11 second cooldown.
New Passive: Revitalization. Zenyatta now receives 1.6667x more healing from the Support Passive.
Discord Orb has proven to be incredibly valuable for shredding tanks, and is a large reason why the role is so unfun. It has been toned down, but it has been compensated with slightly higher healing, and higher damage so Zenyatta doesn't feel affected himself.
While he is supposed to be a glass cannon, the final Overwatch 1 meta featuring Brigitte and Baptiste played alongside him can make him feel unkillable. With the changes made in Overwatch 2, he should feel easier to kill, unless he activates his new get-off-me tool. Now, Zenyatta takes his safety into his own hands, knocking back enemies with every hit for 4 seconds. This way, it's not Brigitte bailing him out from the Winston that jumped on him. It's himself.